Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Easy Basket Weave Knit Washcloth

This cute washcloth is knitted up with only knit and purl stitches. By alternating rows of purl and knit stitches you create a pretty basket weave effect. 



I found a great video by Gaye Glasspie of GGmadeit on Facebook for the crochet cast on method. Be sure to hop on over to her page and give it a like. She has some great videos and designs for knitting. The crochet cast on creates a very nice and decorative edge, plus it is a great method to use when you have a lot of stitches to cast on. Unlike my other favorite method, the long tail cast on, you don’t have to estimate how much yarn you need for your cast on. You use the yarn as you go and crochet stitches onto the knitting needle.


Now don’t worry if you don’t know how to crochet. The crochet cast on is very, very, easy and I’m sure you’ll get the hang of it in no time. Here is her video:

Crochet Cast On from Gaye Glasspie on Vimeo.




New Stitch a Day has a video on the crochet bind off. This method also creates a pretty decorative edge and is very easy to learn. I used both of these methods in the washcloth pattern I’m about to share with you.



Okay, on to the pattern. I hope you like it!

Basket Weave Washcloth

You will need a skein each of cotton yarn in two colors. I used Premier Home yarn in Violet Splash (Color A) and Sahara Splash (Color B)

The pattern is knitted in sets of 5 plus 6. So you can make the washcloth larger or smaller as long as you cast on sets of 5 and then 6 more for the edging stitches.

With Color A CO 31
Rows 1-3: k
Row 4: k3 *p5, k5* rep ending with p5, k3
Row 5: k3 *k5, p5* rep ending with k5, k3
Row 6: Repeat Row 4
Row 7: Repeat Row 5
Row 8: Repeat Row 4

Row 9: k3 * p5, k5* rep ending with p5, k3
Row 10: k3 *k5, p5* rep ending with k5, k3
Row 11: Repeat Row 9
Row 12: Repeat Row 10
Row 13: Repeat Row 9

With Color B
Rows 14-23: Repeat Rows 4-13

With Color A
Rows 24-32: Repeat Rows 4-13
Rows 33-35: k, BO and weave in tails.

Please let me know if you find any problems with the pattern, I’ve tried to make sure the pattern is complete and easy to understand. I’d be happy to answer any questions you may have, and I’d love to see your dishcloths you make with this pattern.

You may feel free to sell anything made with my patterns, just please give me credit as the designer. If you’d like to share my patterns, please share the link to the blog. Be sure to come by Facebook and check out my page, Kat’s Crochet Creations, and give it a like. Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you enjoy making your very own set of basket weave washcloths and dishcloths.

No comments:

Post a Comment