Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Crisscross Phone Holder

I have a habit of carrying the phone around with me all over the house. It seems every time I get 10 feet away from the darn thing it rings. I also needed a place to keep it and my reading glasses safe from my cats that like to get up on my nightstand and knock everything off. So I took some scrap yarn from a hat and made a swanky phone holder. I don’t have a cell phone so this holder is large enough to hold my cordless phone, my reading glasses, and anything other little item I might want to squirrel away. I used an antique mother-of-pearl button from my collection to set it off. I’m really happy with how it turned out and I hope you like it too.


Close up of the back of the flap

Close up of Crisscross DC stitches

Check out my antique mother-of-pearl button!


Feel free to share this link to share the pattern. You can sell any items made with this pattern, just please give me credit for the original design. To my knowledge the pattern is complete and error free. If you do have problems with it, please contact me and I’ll do my best to help you out.

Be sure to like my Facebook page, Kat’s Crochet Creations where you’ll find tips, free pattern finds, and great instructional video links I’ve found. You can also share your works in progress, ask questions, and just come by and say hi. Also come by my Raverly page and check out my other free patterns. I don’t have much on there yet, but check back as I’m adding new patterns quite often.

Okay now on to the pattern!

You will need some scarp yarn. I used Red Heart Super Saver in ID# E300_3972 Mulberry Mix and a size I/9 (5.50mm) crochet hook. (You can use any medium weight yarn you like.)
You will also need a button, a sewing needle, and some thread to sew the button on.

Gauge: 12 stitches and 10 rows in dc equal 4 inches square. (Gauge isn’t really critical for this pattern.)

Pattern Notes:
The pattern starts with a foundation chain of 10, one row of sc, and then one round of sc. You then work the first row of dc into the back loops of the last sc round and work in the round from then on. You need to end up with an even number of stitches on the last sc round. To form the flap I did a round of sc and then worked the flap on the back of the holder using decreases until I reached 2 stitches and then formed the loop, joined it and worked in the tails.

Special Stitches:
Double Crisscross Stitch (Also called the Cross Double Crochet): From the last stitch worked skip one stitch and dc into the next stitch. Yarn over, insert the hook into the skipped stitch, and work a dc into that stitch. The dc stitches crisscross each other. Here’s a really good video tutorial from Johnny at New Stitch a Day to learn this stitch.
Sc2tog: Insert hook into next stitch, yarn over, pull through and insert into next stitch, yarn over and pull through. Pull yarn through all 5 loops on your hook. (This is also a decrease stitch.) Watch Mikey from The Crochet Crowd’s video tutorial series to learn how to do this stitch. It is also known as the crochet 2 tog decrease.

Phone Holder Body
Chain 11, sc into 2nd st from the hook and sc across, 10 stitches, turn

Row 2: ch1, sc into 2nd st from the hook and sc across, 10 stitches, turn

Row 3: ch1, sc into 2nd st from the hook and across the row. When you get to the end work 5sc into last stitch working around the end. Sc across the bottom of the piece of fabric and end up with 5sc in the last stitch. Join. You will now be working in the round from this point on.

Round 1: ch3, dc into the back loop only of each sc, join in the 3rd ch of ch3.

Round 2: ch3, insert hook into the st to the right of ch3 and dc. *Working right to left skip st, dc into next st, insert hook into skipped st and dc* Repeat around and join into 3rd ch of ch3.

Round 3: ch 3, dc into each st around and join into 3rd ch of ch3

Repeat Rounds 2 and 3 three times

Round 10: ch3, dc into each st around and join into 3rd ch of ch3

Round 11: ch1, sc into each st around and join in ch1

Flap and Button loop:

Row 1: ch1,sc into 11 sc – 12 stitches, turn

Row 2: ch1, sc2tog, 5sc, sc2tog – 8 stitches, turn

Row 3: ch1, sc2tog – 4 stitches, turn

Row 4: ch1 sc2tohg twice, ch10 (or create a chain large enough for your button), join chain into top of 2nd sc2togh. Work 10 sc into loop and join. Break yarn.

Sew button onto the middle of the front, weave in tails and you’re done.

If you’d like to share this pattern please use the link to this blog. You can also sell any items made with this pattern as long as you give me credit as the original designer. Make this larger or smaller by adding or subtracting rows. You can also change the gauge with a different size crochet hook, or a different weight of yarn. I hope you like it and please share any pics of your projects on my Facebook and Raverly pages. If you have any questions or comments please feel free to use the comments section below. I will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks!




No comments:

Post a Comment